I’ve gotten tons of good music over the last year. I’ve gotten into some rap and hip-hop, stuff that I never would have listened to five years ago. It’s strange how I can’t really identify with myself from five or ten years ago. Who was that guy? What did he think about? Why did he do what he did? Is it just the fog of time and a poor memory that causes this, or is it because I’ve changed so much?
If you can’t stomach the highly produced sounds of rap, you might try hip-hop, which has a grittier, less polished sound. More snare drums and live instruments and fewer electronic beats.
- Storiez – Shai Linne (hip hop)
- 20/20 – Trip Lee (rap)
- Rebel – Lecrae (rap)
- Gulag Orkester – Beirut (polka-influenced brit pop? I have no idea)
- Thunder, Lightning, Strike – The Go! Team (cheer-influenced rock? Again, no idea)
- The Altar and the Door – Casting Crowns (alt rock – even three years ago I would have refused to listen to this band. crazy.)
- Better Late Than Never – Lange (classic techno, I guess. A compilation of a lot of artists)
- You Are Beautiful At All Times – Yppah (electronic breaks)